DUBLIN

INTERNATIONAL CONTEST

1916 CENTENARY CHAPEL AT

ST. PAUL’S CEMETERY, GLASNEVIN, DUBLIN

 

Location: Dublin, Ireland

Contest: 2013

Assignment: Glasnevin Trust + RIAI

Surface: 540m2

Costs: € 2.830.000,-

 

Design brief

‘Glasnevin Trust wishes to develop the 1916 Centenary Chapel to commemorate, in particular the 232 people who died during the 1916 Rising and who are buried in a mass grave on the site in St. Paul’s Cemetery, as well as all others who lost their lives in those events. ‘

 

The road to the monument is the axis of the whole composition.

Cross this road and axis is a wide strip defined as the location of the chape land the piazza. At the left side one volume of trees are planted as a living memento. Over the hole piazza, also among the trees, is a tight structure of hedges constructed in stripes, all pointing in the direction of the existing monument.

 

The chapel is part of this nature. The trees are at the right side of the axis, replaced by a glass, semi-transparent rectangular simple building. The glass walls and glass roof are silk-screened with trees.

The hedges stop at the building and go behind the building again.

 

The building is rectangular and simply, built on an extremely light steel structure of glass walls and roof on a concrete floor, founded on steel. It contains 540m2 surface and a height of 6m.

The screen printing on the glass walls creates a semi-transparent entity from which the area is still somewhat visible.

 

Heating is done by the refrigeration system. The heat which is produced by the cooling device will be used to heat the building. Heat distribution will be done by means of floor pipes at the top of the concrete floor. The floor is insulated on the bottom so can not lose the accumulated heat.

In general, because of the large glass surfaces, the building will be heated by passive solar energy.

 

Because the building is practically a conservatory, is cooling necessary in warmer summer days. For this purpose are proposed two facilities: underground pipes as ground heat exchanger, and demand-driven grids above the glass walls.

 

Next to the main building is a tower presented in a sleek design, the church bell.

This is also made up of a steel structure. The whole is covered with Hedera Helix. The tower is placed at the side of the building so as not to be compared to the monument.

 

The square has an undulating second layer formed by the boxwood lines. This structures the space and also serve as natural protection of the view where this is not desirable.

 

Plants have an important role in the design.

The square in front of the monument and around the chapel is decorated with alternating stripes of planting and gravel facing the monument. The stripes are partly grass tiles partly boxwood plants. The grass tiles give the green color to the stripes without having a volume.